L i f e i n B o n i n I s l a n d


After living a monotonous life, commuting for 3 hours a day, getting all the new viruses available, confused and tired; decision time hit my life. Traveled for 3 months in search of answers and guidance. It was Chichijima were the flow took us to and now it is our home. Time has stopped and now we LIVE life.

Nov 15, 2010

Let's just start the blog


4 months have passed now since our arrival to this Island. 24 hour boat ride from a very busy port in Tokyo and after packing our "bento" we got on without knowing what was waiting for us on the other side. I had a job sort out or kind of sort out with a friend of my boyfriend working in one of the nicest restaurants in town. An Italian restaurant with an awesome view. Nervous I was :-} but looking forward to living a balanced life, working but at the same time enjoying life's gifts. On arrival my new boss was waiting to have a quick interview and get me started. For the first days without home we camped in our friends train house's terrace. I must say that camping has been not a very good experience in my life and this one wasn't going to be a good one either. Hot, Humid! mosquitos everywhere and bed bugs. Nothing else could go wrong except for it started raining on our roofless tent. There were moments though, when the clouds were gone and the stars would shine to its fullest through the tree branches in that pitch black sky. The smell of nature was welcoming and securing.




Since then 4 months. Today I woke up with a cup of coffee next to my bed in our lovely home. Had a chat about my dream; some friends and I were swimming in an indoor pool with a big whale. A pet whale, HUGE and we danced and swam with it in the transparent water, oxygen wasn't a problem in there. We kissed the whale good bye and took a nice shower. Weather has been gloomy this days and there is a stagnant air in the Island. Clothes don't dry and going out is more difficult than usual. If it rains than you have to stay home but if its sunny you have to go out; so what do you do when its gloomy? Grab a book, bake, sleep, google etc. Time is slowing down so much since we came. It seems like we have been here for a year now but it is just the incredible amount of free time, the scarce amount of human beings and cars, it is unreal. So cleaned the closet did some yoga, went to work for an hour and had dinner out. Walked around town and checked the 20 or so restaurants, half of them owned by friends or people we knew. You walk down the dark streets and you feel like you might know that person because we are only 2000 people in here. Faces start to look similar and SO WHAT! You just start saying hello to everybody you see just in case you know them. Friendly Island Chichijima.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Denmark.
    I am with great joy reading this blog, which I found when I was looking for information about the tragic disaster in Japan. This seems to be one of the only places with english 'news' from the Island, so thank you for making it :)

    I am a danish student, living in Copenhagen where i study Japanese and economy. in the summer of 2009 i spend 4 weeks in Ogasawara and fell absolutely in love with the island. I hope that i one day in near future can come back to this wonderful paradise on earth.
    I would very much like to have contacts on the island, so I would like to ask you if you would be interested in emailing with me, now and then?

    If you are interested my email is: lorolf@gmail.com , I hope so much to hear from you :)

    Best regards from
    Louise Rolfsted (25 year old girl from Denmark)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Another Japan-blogger here! I would love to get in touch with you to ask a few questions about your beautiful island. tokyobling (at) gmail.com

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete